The Attorney General is commending local immigration officials for how they handled issues relating to arrival into the country of members of a Jewish group including six children last Monday on board a Westjet flight in transit to Guatemala.
Members of the group were detained and denied travel to Guatemala.
Reports say the members are at the center of a court matter involving some 14 children who are the subject of a child protection order in the province of Quebec, Canada.
In an interview, Anand Ramlogan, confirmed members of the Jewish group were flown back to Canada on a private jet after 5 pm on Saturday accompanied by security officers.
He also complimented immigration officials for the professionalism displayed in dealing with this tense situation.
It was announced yesterday that independent investigation will be conducted into the botched Caesarian-section surgery which resulted in the death of a seven-month-old male foetus.
The 38 year old mother of Enterprise Chaguanas lost her son Simeon on Carnival Saturday at the Mt Hope Women’s Hospital after the baby’s head was cut during a C-section performed by a junior specialist. The specialist was subsequently sent on suspension with full pay.
Cottle said she wants someone to be held accountable at the end of the day.
Reports state that there are two consultants within the unit who would normally supervise a C-section procedure but at the time, however, one consultant was on leave while the other was not present at the time of the C-section.
North Central Regional Health Authority (NCRHA) chairman Dr Shehenaz Mohammed yesterday said an internal follow-up report was completed and was to be submitted to Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan via e-mail last night and today in hard copy format.
She explained that this report is based upon information gathered from all members of staff involved in the incident.
This was revealed by the Ministry of Education via a release.
The Princess Town School has had some issues during the school term as teachers refused to attend school because of the presence of mold spores and other microbials at the school compound.
On February 3, the school was reopened upon reassurance from the Ministry of Education that the area was cleaned and safe for students and teachers to return.
That day four students of the school were rushed to the health facility after complaining about feeling dizzy, and having severe skin and eye irritations.
Classes resumed on February 18, after tests carried out by the Caribbean Industrial Research Institute CARIRI revealed that there was no mold present, however, when school called that Monday, students and staff complained of itching.
Officials from the Ministry stated that they suspected that the agent causing the illness came from a specific area in the school and that part was isolated.
The recently scheduled second meeting among leaders of political parties in Tobago to discuss matters relating to internal self-governance did not come off.
Tobago House of Assembly Chief Secretary, Orville London, explains that the leader of the Tobago Organisation of the People (TOP) Ashworth Jack had indicated that he had an important engagement and would not be available.
Both Chairman of the Tobago Council of the PNM Neil Wilson and leader of the Tobago Platform of Truth (TPT) Hochoy Charles has given their assurance of their availability on any date.
Despite the development, Mr London assured Tobagonians all will be done to ensure discussions on the matter continue.
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is expected to leave Trinidad and Tobago today for the 25th Inter-Sessional meeting of the Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (Caricom), in St Vincent.
The agenda for the meeting will see issues such as the decriminalising marijuana for medicinal purposes, the economic situation facing member states and the region, as well as issues of climate change, citizenship, security, and reparations for native genocides and slavery being discussed.
The meeting is scheduled to end tomorrow.
While the Prime Minister is away; Works and Infrastructure Minister, Dr. Surujrattan Rambachan, will act in her place.
The Congress of the People is taking measures to rebuild its momentum in the country’s political arena.
COP Political Leader, Prakash Ramadhar, speaking at a news briefing on Saturday held at the party’s Flag Ship House, Broome Street, Woodbrook Office said the organization’s constitution will be reformed and a revised manifesto developed with the input of members.
He said the party will work hard at regaining public trust, reconnect with citizens and maintain its core values.
The party has acquired the services of Liberal Party of Canada Secretary, Ray Larson, who said he is in country to share experiences and methods that have been used to revive organizations in the political environment.
- AG COMMENDS IMMIGRATION OFFICIALS
- MOM CALLS FOR POLICE INVESTIGATION
- TWO SOUTH SCHOOLS RE-OPEN TODAY
- TALKS OVER INTERNAL SELF-GOVERNANCE FOR TOBAGO AT A STANDSTILL
- PM OFF TO CARICOM MEETING
- C.O.P SEEKING TO IMPROVE ITS PUBLIC IMAGE
- T&TEC RESPONDS TO PROTESTS
- OWTU PICKETS T&TEC
- TUCO DEFENDS JUDGING PROCESS
- FEMALE OFFICER ASSAULTED IN POINT FORTIN
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Government ILP Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news newspower News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament partnership government PNM Point Fortin Police Police investigating police investigation police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 power102fm Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD security service Tobago trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service UNC united national congress world news
- TESSANNE CHIN PERFORMS AT THE WHITE HOUSE: WATCH NOW!Tessanne Chin performed at the Women of Soul concert at the White House hosted by First Lady Michelle Obama. The Jamaican songstress and the winner of The Voice season five shared the stage with the likes of Aretha Franklin, Patti… […]Avril Babb
- PHARRELL WILLIAMS “HAPPY” HITS No.1 ON THE BILLBOARD CHARTSPharrell Williams is enjoying a high point in his career, not only did he just drop his new album G I R L, but his smash hit single “Happy” is currently No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 Chart. The viral… […]Avril Babb
- JUDGES MAKE CONTROVERSIAL DECISION TO DEDUCT POINTS FROM 25 LARGE BANDSThe National Carnival Bands Association’s (NCBA) judges made a decision to deduct points from a reported 25 large bands for failing to start at their first judging in Woodbrook. However this is not going down well with the affected Bands… […]Avril Babb
- IVAN KALICHARAN RETAINS SOUTH CROWN FOR 7TH YEARFor the seventh year running veteran San Fernando Bandleader Ivan Kalicharan has retained the southern city’s Band of the Year crown. The victory also marked an astounding 21 times by Kalicharan whose 2014 presentation, ‘Beats’ also copped both the King… […]Avril Babb
- TESSANNE CHIN PERFORMS AT THE WHITE HOUSE: WATCH NOW!
Power102fm on Twitter