The airplane which the regional delegation took to South Africa will be renamed in honor of the countries late freedom fighter, Nelson Mandela.
This announcement was made via the official twitter page of the Prime Minister last night.
Prime Minister, Persad-Bissessar, Opposition Leader, Dr. Keith Rowley, and leaders from around the region are in South Africa to attend the memorial service for the rainbow nation’s first democratically elected president, who died on Thursday at the age of 95.
The CAL aircraft which took the T&T & Caribbean delegations to South Africa, is to be named the @NelsonMandela aircraft – PM Kamla
— Kamla P. Bissessar (@PMKamla) December 10, 2013
Mr. Alms who was well known for his community work in the Toco area died on Friday after suffering with cancer.
BIGWU in a release said it offices will be closed today as a mark of respect for their fallen comrade.
The Acting Commissioner of Police is admitting there is need to quickly improve the detection rate of the Service.
Steven Williams made the comment while speaking at a Breakfast forum entitled Conservation with the Police Service on Tuesday.
The event took place at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine.
So far this year the murder stands at 366.
Police data shows that areas in and around the capital city have been recording the highest number of murders.
Reports state that at around 10 am, 66 year old maxi-taxi driver Dhanraj Ramjitsingh was dropping off passengers at the top of St James Street, San Fernando.
Mr. Ramjitsingh was in the process of collecting fares and giving change when a man approached him and attempted to steal $150, from his hand.
As the driver resisted and held on to the money, the thief bit him on his fingers, forcing him to let go of the cash.
The suspect escaped; however, he was captured by police a short while later.
The 42 year old suspect is expected to be charged today.
The Trade Ministry maintains the installation of security cameras throughout the Ministry is to be used for preventative and investigative purposes and not to as part of any programme to continuously monitor the movements or performance of staff.
It explains the measure was taken as a result of a series of security incidents, which led to material losses to both staff and the Ministry.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Ministry said this situation created an atmosphere of insecurity and employees felt unsafe.
The exercise, the Trade Ministry noted commenced in August 2013 and included the installation of the equipment, which records video only.
It added the custodian of the footage will fall under the purview of the Permanent Secretary and the Corporate Services Department.
A release pointed out that during meetings this week, staff members were met and informed of these arrangements.
Concerns are being raised by the executive of the Prison Officer’s Association about the pace of implementation of recommendations agreed upon to improve safety and security at the nations prisons.
Recently, the recommendations of the special cabinet appointed committee, which focused on challenges facing prisons were presented to Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bissessar.
In a News Power Now interview on Tuesday, Prisons Officers Association President, Ceron Richards, said its members are closely monitoring the situation.
- CAL AIRCRAFT RENAMED IN MANDELA’S HONOR
- BIGWU SAYS GOOD BYE TO FORMER LEADER
- More needs to be done
- 44 year old arresteed for robbery
- Security Cameras At Trade Ministry Not Aimed At Monitoring Staff Performance
- Prison Officer’s Association Concerned About Pace of Implementation of Recommendations
- Trinity Exploration finds lucrative oil deposit
- Former Sangre-Grande Regional Corporation Chairman appointed to National Quarries
- UNC not troubled with Panday’s return
- Main suspect still at hospital
Popular TagsAnand Ramlogan Body caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Government ILP Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news newspower News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Partnership partnership government PNM Point Fortin Police Police investigating police investigation police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 power102fm Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD security service Tobago trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service UNC united national congress world news
- Keishon dailey on 16 yr old among three charged for murder
- Keisha dates on 16 yr old among three charged for murder
- Magerfoot on PNM revokes the senatorial appointment of Beckles and Hinds.
- ginelle gomez. on Emperor Valley Zoo gets addition to it’s African experience
- Anonymous on ‘We have not leant our lesson’
Power102fm on Twitter
- TESSANNE CHIN: #1 ON iTUNESTessanne Chin is now No.1 on iTunes and she is making her homeland Jamaica and indeed the Caribbean, proud right now. After that memorable performance on Monday night of the Simon and Garfunkel classic single “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” Tessanne… […]Avril Babb
- TESSANNE CHIN MAKES ITS TO TOP 3 ON ‘THE VOICE’Fans can now breathe a huge sigh of relief, at least for this week. Tessanne Chin has advanced to The Voice finals. The Jamaican songstress overcame some personal issues on Monday night’s live show to give a powerful performance of… […]Avril Babb
- KANYE WEST TAKES TO TWITTER TO BLAST FAKE INTERVIEW OVER MANDELA QUOTESUpset that he was falsely quoted as comparing himself to Nelson Mandela, Kanye West took to Twitter on Monday to set the record straight. As was reported yesterday, The Daily Currant previously ran a a fake interview with West, in… […]Avril Babb
- DEFENSE CRITICISES PROSECUTION IN KARTEL MURDER CASEVybz Kartel’s murder trial is now in its fourth week. The dancehall star, whose real name is Adidja Palmer, is currently on trial for the alleged murder of Clive “Lizard” Williams. Yesterday the Deputy Director for immigration services at the… […]Avril Babb
- TESSANNE CHIN: #1 ON iTUNES