The man identified as 35 year old Henry Cooper was arrested and brought before the courts after investigations used DNA evidence to find the woman’s attacker.
Canadian media is reporting that DNA proved to be the key to Cooper’s arrest on Saturday, even though Cooper was not part of the national DNA data bank.
Inspector Brad Fishleigh, the commander of the St Thomas detachment, said once investigators determined Cooper was their suspect, they moved swiftly to arrest him because he is a foreigner.
The vicious nature of the woman’s assault is said to have shaken the quite community.
Cooper has made his first court appearance and has yet to schedule a bail hearing.
Three men have appeared before a Scarborough Magistrates’ Court charged with the murder of 29 year old Anton Williams, who was gunned down at Mt St George, on November 22 last.
The men identified as 21 year old Joshua Phillip 19 year old Masudi Mayhew and a 16 year old boy appeared before Senior Magistrate Nanette Forde-John in the Scarborough First Court.
The three accused were not called upon to plead as the charges were laid indictable, requiring trial before a judge and jury.
Along with the charge of murder, the three are jointly charged with several separate counts illegal possession of ammunition, illegal possession of two firearms, and breaking into a residence at Mt St George with intent to commit an arrestable offence, between November 21 and 24 last.
With murder being a felony for which bail is not granted, the three accused were subsequently remanded in custody, with the 16-year-old remanded to the Youth Training Centre (YTC), in Trinidad.
They will reappear in court on January 2, 2014.
Reports state the men sent out a distress call saying that pirogue, named Catalina was drifting towards Venezuela.
The men reportedly left Rampanalgas, Toco at about 11 am on Tuesday to go on a fishing expedition.
However, one hour later they experienced technical difficulties and issued the call for assistance.
Officers of the Coast Guard carried out a search together with the Air Guard but the vessel was not seen until yesterday.
The vessel with the fishermen was towed to Toco where they were reunited with their families.
Attorneys representing the women signaled their intention to file judicial review proceedings in the High Court on the women’s behalf.
The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions has decided to press on with the charge against them of soliciting passers-by for the purpose of prostitution.
That same charge however was aired before magistrate Margaret Alert in August.
Alert threw out the charge on the grounds that the evidence from the police officers, did not support the definition of the word ‘passers-by’.
Discussions are taking place with officials from the Medical Professionals Association of Trinidad and Tobago, related to improved wages for local doctors.
In an interview with members this week, Health Minister Dr. Fuad Khan said from feedback received there are doctors abroad who have expressed a desire to return to Trinidad and Tobago to continue their practice.
Minister Khan said very soon a technical team from the Ministry, which visited Cuba in November during its recruitment drive will present its report.
Mr. Khan also confirmed there are plans to expand services offered, at local health centres.
A chance to put country first, humbled and ready to serve, and willing to share political experience with others.
These are some of the comments made by the three new People’s National Movement Senators, television news anchor Diane Baldeo Chadeesingh, PNM candidate for the Chaguanas West by election , Avinash Singh and former government minister, Camille Robinson Regis.
The senatorial appointments of Penelope Beckles-Robinson and Fitzgerald Hinds were revoked following the decision by Opposition Leader, Dr. Keith Rowley who advised President Anthony Carmona to do such.
The revocation took effect from 12 midnight on Tuesday.
A vacancy in the senate already existed through the departure of Mr. Terrance Deyalsingh who now sits in the Lower House for the Constituency of St Joseph.
Speaking at a news briefing at the Opposition’s Charles Street, Port of Spain Office on Wednesday, Mrs Baldeo Chadeesingh said she accepted the position because it provided an opportunity to serve the nation in a different capacity.
Mr. Singh described his entry into the political arena as a baptism of fire, however he said he is ready to give his best in this dynamic aspect of national life.
Mrs. Robinson Regis said she is ready to share the experience and knowledge gained over the years with others.
Meanwhile, Opposition Leader, Dr Keith Rowley, told reporters former Senator Fitzgerald Hinds still has a key role in the party as long as he is willing to serve.
- Trinidad charged with rape in Canada
- 16 yr old among three charged for murder
- Missing fishermen found
- 74 Dominicans appear in court for prostitution
- Increased Wages for Local Doctors, Being Discussed
- New PNM Senators Ready to Serve
- Two Suspects Being Sought By Police
- Two Men Arrested Following Botched Attack In Arima
- PNM revokes the senatorial appointment of Beckles and Hinds.
- Burnt body found in Valencia
Popular TagsAnand Ramlogan Body caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Government ILP Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news newspower News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Partnership partnership government PNM Point Fortin Police Police investigating police investigation police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 power102fm Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD security service Tobago trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service UNC united national congress world news
- Magerfoot on PNM revokes the senatorial appointment of Beckles and Hinds.
- ginelle gomez. on Emperor Valley Zoo gets addition to it’s African experience
- Anonymous on ‘We have not leant our lesson’
- michael on KFC Guard allegedly shoots customer
- Anonymous on Murder suicide in Tobago
Power102fm on Twitter
- ZIGGY RANKIN GETS READY TO MAKE FANS HAPPY FOR 2K14Ziggy Rankin is an artist who can easily be described as easy going and humble and he has had success both locally and internationally with good reason. One listen to that strong, gritty, melodious voice and it’s easy to deduce… […]Avril Babb
- ELEPHANT MAN’S RAPE CASE DELAYED DUE TO MISSING FILE; JA RULE SHUTS DOWN RUMORS HE’S LEAVING HIS WIFE FOR CELL MATESeems like Vybz Kartel isn’t the only one with legal woes. Dancehall star Elephant Man still has a rape case hanging over his head. The dancehall Energy God appeared before a judge last week but the trial did not get… […]Avril Babb
- VYBZ KARTEL TRIAL: BLOOD SAMPLE DNA NOT A MATCH TO VICTIMVybz Kartel’s murder trial in the Home Circuit court is winding down. A verdict could be reached as early as Friday if there are no delays. Kartel, is on trial for the alleged murder of Clive “Lizard” Williams. He is… […]Avril Babb
- “FAST AND FURIOUS 7″ SUSPENDED INDEFINITELYUniversal announced on Wednesday that production on “Fast and Furious 7″ would be shut down indefinitely following the death of actor Paul Walker. “Right now, all of us at Universal are dedicated to providing support to Paul’s immediate family and… […]Avril Babb
- ZIGGY RANKIN GETS READY TO MAKE FANS HAPPY FOR 2K14