The Association claimed that it “condemned in the strongest possible way” Ramlogan’s “virulent attack” on a member of the media, Anika Gumbs, suggesting she continues to “lick up the Government” in the course of her duties.
The Attorney General commented recently on an article written by Gumbs based on reports from the Police Complaints Authority and the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service on the existence of a New Flying Squad.
MATT has clearly stated that the freedom of the press must be preserved and any attempt by any power to limit this freedom must be resisted by all right-thinking people.
The Association also added that it was the duty of the media to report fairly and fearlessly on matters of public importance.
It urged its members to continue to freely, accurately and fearlessly cover the news, and not be cowered by the attacks of the Attorney General or anyone else who yields power.
President Anthony Carmona has reappointed retired judge of the Court of Appeal, Justice Roger Hamel-Smith to the Judicial and Legal Service Commission (JLSC).
Justice Hamel-Smith has acted as Chief Justice of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago on no fewer than 16 occasions during the tenure of the last three Chief Justices.
A released from the Office of the President says Justice Hamel-Smith hails from a family that can only be described as possessing impeccable legal pedigree.
The release added President Carmona thanked Justice Hamel-Smith for his commitment to serve in public office.
Members of the Police Social and Welfare Association are calling for an immediate enquiry into the breach of a report on the flying squad matter that has reached the hands of Opposition Senator Faris Al Rawi.
The association’s President, Inspector Anand Ramesar says after careful deliberation among key members, the decision was reached for the director to step aside so that a full investigation can be launched.
CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO
He is also calling on Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar to intervene in the event that the authority wants to do its own investigation.
He says in doing so, the integrity of an organization such as the Police Complaints authority will be preserved and some level of damage control will be maintained.
Chaguanas Business Association President, Richie Sookai, in a News Power Now interview this afternoon said the necessary ground work is taking place to ensure order is maintained in the growing commercial borough. Mr Sookai said the discussions among key interest groups will be on-going.
The Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard continues its search for Alex Sookoo who went missing while bathing at Icacos Bay on Sunday.Twenty eight year old Sookoo of Lowkie Trace, Penal disappeared after he allegedly dove from a rock into the water at the bay.
In a News Power interview this afternoon, T.T.C.G. Public Relations Officer, Lieutenant Commander, Kirk Jean Baptiste, said the latest search by divers has not yielded a discovery.
CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO
They say the situation has been ongoing for approximately three years.
Life Guard General Branch Secretary, Curtis Hernandez, in an interview with News Power Now this afternoon said the situation is heightened during the Easter Holidays.
He said at this time of year there is an influx of persons at the nation’s beaches especially so- Maracas, Las Cuevas, and Tyrico.
Mr. Hernandez is hoping that the issue is urgently addressed by the recently appointed Tourism Minister, Gerald Hadeed.
- MATT CONDEMNS AG ‘ATTACK ON THE MEDIA’
- HAMEL-SMITH REAPPOINTED TO THE JLSC
- POLICE ASSOCIATION CALLS FOR PROBE INTO LEAKED FLYING SQUAD REPORT
- CHAGUANAS PUSH FOR CITY STATUS WITH STAKEHOLDERS
- SEARCH CONTINUES FOR MAN WHO DISAPPEARED AT SEA
- LIFE GUARDS WANT LACK OF MAN POWER ADDRESSED
- TOBAGO HAPPY WITH CARGO RETURN
- TWO MEN ARRESTED FOR THE POSSESSION OF AMMUNITION
- CITIZENS MUST LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER
- ‘NAPA NOT FALLING APART’
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Government ILP Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news newspower News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley partnership government PETROTRIN PNM Point Fortin Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 power102fm Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD security service THA Tobago trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service UNC united national congress world news
- JERMAINE JACKSON SAYS MJ WOULD BE NOTHING WITHOUT THE JACKSON 5Jermaine Jackson is reeling over Debbie Rowe’s comment that Michael Jackson told her his brothers were talentless. The hopping mad and considerably less popular brother says that Michael owes his fame to his older siblings. Jermaine was blunt in Calabasas… […]Avril Babb
- ICE CUBE DENIES ‘DISSING’ PAUL WALKERIce Cube is setting the record straight. He says that he was not taking a huge shot at Paul Walker when he griped about losing to him at the MTV Movie Awards. In fact he’s claiming that his words were… […]Avril Babb
- TRINA DUMPS FRENCH MONTANA OVER HIS ALLEGED HOOK UP WITH KHLOE KHARDASHIANStarting in late 2012 and continuing right up to Trina appearing on Rap Fix live there were rumors of her and French Montana dating. In 2012 French Montana left his wife. According to some sources he then immediately entered a… […]Avril Babb
- JOURNALISTS WHO COVERED THE VYBZ KARTEL MURDER TRIAL RECEIVE DEATH THREATSTwo journalists who covered the recent murder trial of entertainer, Vybz Kartel, have been receiving death threats, their media houses reported Monday. The Jamaica Observer newspaper said that its Crime/Court Desk Editor, Karyl Walker, had been receiving several threatening calls… […]Avril Babb
- JERMAINE JACKSON SAYS MJ WOULD BE NOTHING WITHOUT THE JACKSON 5
Power102fm on Twitter