After losing the first ODI, Pakistan clawed their way back to win the next two to continue their run of 26 years without losing a series against West Indies.
The Pakistanis who won the tour-opening four-match T20 series three matches to one now look to the three-match Test series.
Malik yesterday sealed the win — and his century — in spectacular fashion, smashing a six off West Indies captain Jason Holder to wrap up victory with nearly seven overs to spare.
Malik’s 101, which included two sixes and ten fours, was matched by an assured 81 from Mohammad Hafeez as Pakistan finished on 236 for four in reply to the home side’s 233 for nine.
“I can’t thank Hafeez enough for the way he played because he took all the pressure off me,” said Malik after collecting both the “Man of the Match” and “Man of the Series” awards.
West Indies captain Jason Holder was sparing in his disappointment about his team’s loss.
Holder added “I felt we had a decent enough total but we just couldn’t put enough pressure on Malik and Hafeez after the early breakthroughs,”
“I’ve got no regrets about the decision to bat first because I think we recovered well and should have made a better effort of defending that total.”
West Indies were indebted to Barbadian Shai Hope (71) and Trinidadian Jason Mohammed (59) after their top-order once again crumbled.
Mohammed’s excellent run of form in this Caribbean season continued with a fluent 59 off 64 balls with two sixes and five fours, his fourth half-century in six ODI innings.
The pair put on 101 for the fourth wicket and lifted the home side from early discomfort to a degree of competitiveness.
However they lost vital wickets in the quest for quick runs over the final overs of the innings, managing just 29 over the last five in which Ahmed resorted to his faster bowlers to good effect.
Junaid Khan, who had accounted for Evin Lewis at the start of the innings, returned to separate the pair of Hope and Mohammed, having the latter caught at the wicket.
Hope fell to Shadab Khan via a catch at long-on, although the leg-spinner endured the most expensive effort of his young international career, conceding 57 runs off eight overs.
Not surprisingly on a worn, turgid track used for the third consecutive match, finger spinners Imad Wasim and Hafeez were difficult for the West Indies to get away, Wasim conceding only 24 runs from his full allotment of ten overs for the wicket of Kieran Powell, who was deceived and stumped.
Hafeez completely dominated the partnership with Malik, his innings coming off 86 balls with two sixes and eight fours before a miscued sweep off Ashley Nurse found Veerasammy Permaul on the backward square-leg boundary.
Permaul, the left-arm spinner brought into the match at the expense of fast bowler Alzarri Joseph on a turning track, proved expensive while leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo also lacked potency in helpful conditions.
- Trinbago Knight Riders in clash of Top Two in CPL T20 in St Kitts
- Woodbrook Residents Successfully Challenge POS City Cooperation in Court
- Prime Minister Rowley Not Opposed to Meeting with Trade Unions Tomorrow.
- Corruption at Port Authority Will be Addressed. Springboard Effort for Other Agencies Like WASA.
- Port Authority Announces Delayed Sailings.
- Hiker Found Dead After 3 Day Search.
- Baby’s Body Discovered at Beetham Landfill.
- Police Officer Shot in Morvant by Gunmen Hiding In Bushes.
- PM Says Ferry Acquisition Docs Forwarded to AG. Admits Something Isn’t Right.
- Sea Bridge Uncertainty Prompts Major Concerns. The Prime Minster is Called on To Answer.
- Woodbrook residents were ticketed for garbage placement outside their residences. The impasse between Woodbrook residents and the Port- of -Spain City Corporation over re
- Prime Minister, Dr. Keith Rowley, says he is willing to meet representatives of the labour movement tomorrow for discussions. On August 4th following their mass march an
Popular TagsAnand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA Watson Duke world news