Mexico is now reeling from the 7.1 magnitude earthquake that struck yesterday, the death toll now in excess of 200. At least 30 people, mostly children, died after a school collapsed in the capital, local media report.The quake rattled the country shortly after many people had taken part in an earthquake drill, exactly 32 years after a quake killed thousands in Mexico City.
The question that must now be asked as the world looks on is, are we prepared to deal with the possibility of such a natural disaster striking our country? Proactive action and thought is encouraged. It would be beneficial for everyone to be aware of what they should do, if an earthquake suddenly shakes the ground beneath us, possibly leading to a catastrophic outcome.
HERE’S WHAT YOU MUST KNOW:
If you are indoors during an earthquake
Ensure you do the following if you are indoors during an earthquake:
- DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON until the shaking stops. If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.
- Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as lighting fixtures or furniture.
- Stay in bed if you are there when the earthquake strikes. Hold on and protect your head with a pillow, unless you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall. In that case, move to the nearest safe place.
- Do not use a doorway except if you know it is a strongly supported, load-bearing doorway and it is close to you. Many inside doorways are lightly constructed and do not offer protection.
- Stay inside until the shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Do not exit a building during the shaking. Research has shown that most injuries occur when people inside buildings attempt to move to a different location inside the building or try to leave.
- DO NOT use the elevators.
- Be aware that the electricity may go out or the sprinkler systems or fire alarms may turn on.
If you are outdoors during an earthquake
Ensure you do the following if you are outdoors during an earthquake:
- Stay there.
- Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires.
- Once in the open, stay there until the shaking stops. The greatest danger exists directly outside buildings, at exits and alongside exterior walls.
If you are in a moving vehicle during an earthquake
Ensure you do the following if you are in a moving vehicle during an earthquake:
- Stop as quickly as safety permits and stay in the vehicle. Avoid stopping near or under buildings, trees, overpasses, and utility wires.
- Proceed cautiously once the earthquake has stopped. Avoid roads, bridges, or ramps that might have been damaged by the earthquake.
If you are trapped under debris
Ensure you do the following if you are trapped under debris during or after an earthquake:
- Do not light a match.
- Do not move around or kick up dust.
- Cover your mouth with a handkerchief or clothing.
- Tap on a pipe or wall so rescuers can locate you. Use a whistle if one is available. Shout only as a last resort. Shouting can cause you to inhale dangerous amounts of dust.
- Tropical Wave Near East Trinidad. More Rainfall On The Way. BE VIGILANT.
- Present ODPM Deputy CEO Was At A Severe Disadvantage, During Last Week’s Flooding Says Former CEO.
- 4 Shot At Moruga Bar Overnight. Police Hunt Suspects.
- 24- Year -Old Man Severely Burnt in Belmont Blaze.
- Miss Universe T&T, Crowned. Naps Alumni, Port of Spain Resident Ready to Represent.
- Opposition Leader Says Government Should Be Doing More. Tours Areas Affected by Severe Flooding.
- RC Archbishop Speaks Out. Social Media Violence Involving Youths, Sounds Alarm.
- Areas of Sangre Grande Feel The Brunt of Inclement Weather. Livestock, Appliances, Crops Damaged.
- Members Club Association To Meet with Ministry of Finance Official on The Way Forward.
- Wild Meat Seizure from Meat Peddlers Triggers Health Concerns. Minister Speaks Out.
- The ODPM is today assuring citizens that support relief and recovery efforts continue, to areas impacted by severe weather conditions, which resulted in widespread floodi
- Police have launched a man hunt after 4 men from Moruga were shot last evening. Reports state the men were at Rampersad’s Bar in Moruga at around 10:30 PM when a ma
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Murder news News Power Now Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar protest Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA Watson Duke world news