Some quick action by students at Presentation College in San Fernando has
helped to prevent a fire from destroying a major part of the school.
Shortly after 9 this morning fire of unknown origin broke out at the college
on the Corner of Carib and Coffee streets in San Fernando.
The blaze is said to have started in a store room in the middle of the college
where the school auditorium is located.
The fire services were called in however before fire tenders could arrive
students used fire extinguishers and brought the blaze under control.
Fire services arrived and shortly after they arrived they were able to
completely extinguish the blaze.
The school’s principal had ordered the school evacuated.
School officials said they had some problems previously with the wiring at
the school but they say the Ministry of Education had that corrected.
Fire officials said they do not think the cause of the blaze was electrical.