The Constitution of Trinidad and Tobago provides that the three fifths majority can be amended.
This is according to former Minister of Works and Transport and Attorney Fitzgerald Hinds.
Minister Hinds revealed this morning that the Constitution itself allows for its own changing according to the needs an evolving society.
Speaking on Good Morning T&T today the Minister said that special conditions would have to be met before this can occur.
He said when a Bill is taken to parliament that requires a special majority one would expect everyone in the House to take off their political hat and vote based on logic, common sense and good law.
He said that Dr. Roodal Moonilal speaking in the Parliament on behalf of the Opposition Leader and his team informed the PNM that they would not be supporting any Bill that was brought to the Parliament that required a specified majority.
He said that this left the PNM with few options.
Former Minister of Works and Transport and Attorney Fitzgerald Hinds.
- Attorney Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj criticises disciplinary action against John Jeremie by Gov’t
- Lifeguards raise concerns on working conditions
- OWTU takes to Sangre-Grande in lead up to August 4th’s major march
- Ayers-Caesar initiates legal action against JLSC
- Supplementary funds requested by Guyana’s Finance Minister following prison fire
- Ministry of Education to ensure retired educational professionals receive benefits in 3 months time
- Duke accuses Transport Minister of telling untruths
- Cabo star set to make its trial run
- Fish vendors call on San Fernando MP Faris-Al-Rawi to intervene and address their issues
- IWRN appeals to parents and guardians to ensure the safety of their children
- Former Attorney-General Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj is criticising what he says is an attack to the rule of law, as it pertains to a move by the Government to initiate disci
- Life Guards are voicing concern about what they described as the poor condition of the towers built for them at the popular Maracas and Las Cuevas beaches. The ma
Popular TagsAnand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA Watson Duke world news