The contracts are for the period between October 1 2014 and September 30 2015.
Dwayne Bravo, who along with Pollard was left out of West Indies’ squad for the 2015 World Cup, is among the 12 contracted players.
The contracts were approved at a WICB board meeting in Antigua on Saturday.
“Selection for central retainer contracts was done on the basis of player performance in the various formats, with Test cricket being the premier format followed by one-day internationals and twenty20 internationals,” the WICB said in a release.
There was no indication as to the future status of both Gayle and Narine who were both named in the West Indies 15-player squad for Cricket’s World Cup starting next month in New Zealand/Australia.
Gayle had accepted a WICB contract in 2014 for the first time in three years, though Pollard had not been given one last year either.
In 2010, Gayle, Bravo and Pollard had refused retainer contracts.
The list of contracted players reads: Sulieman Benn, Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Jason Holder, Denesh Ramdin, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Darren Sammy, Marlon Samuels, Jerome Taylor.
After hammering a match-winning 90 that helped West Indies win the Twenty20 series against South Africa yesterday, Gayle launched a scathing attack on the West Indies Cricket Board and the Clive Lloyd-led selection panel for dropping the senior pair of Dwayne Bravo and Pollard from the ODI series and the World Cup.
Repeatedly labelling the move as “ridiculous”, Gayle felt it was a case of “victimisation” against the two Trinidadian allrounders.
Gayle’s blunt attack came a day after the WICB released a list of 12 players granted central contracts.
That list did not include Gayle, who said he could only express disillusionment over the the omissions at this stage, but smelt Bravo and Pollard paying a price. Although Gayle did not mention it directly, he was referring to the India tour last October when Bravo, as ODI captain, led the boycott against the WICB and the West Indies Players’ Association over a contracts dispute and pulled out of the tour.
What astonished Gayle further, he revealed, was when Bravo told him that the selectors’ vision was focused on re-building the team. “Bravo said to me, to be honest with you, the team they selected for the World Cup is actually to re-build for the next World Cup, which I can’t understand. Basically what they are telling us: we are not going to win the World Cup [but] build for the next World Cup which is really ridiculous.”