She stated that she was deeply saddened to learn of the shootings at Parliament Hill, the National War Memorial, and a Mall in Ottawa, Canada, yesterday.
It was reported that a gunman opened fire at the National War Memorial, wounding a soldier, then moved to nearby Parliament Hill before he was shot, reportedly by Parliament’s sergeant-at-arms.
It was later confirmed that the gunman and the soldier died from their injuries.
Mrs. Persad- Bissessar shared that the Government of Trinidad and Tobago stood in solidarity with their fellow Parliamentarians in Ottawa during this difficult time.
She said that incidents such as this one reminded us of the attack on this country’s democracy 24 years ago, when insurrectionists stormed our nation’s Parliament at the Red House in an attempt to overthrow the democratically-elected Government.
She also expressed concern as the Trinidad and Tobago Embassy is based in Ottawa.
So far, no one in Canada can confirm if this was an act of terrorism against the Government and people of Canada.
Mrs. Persad- Bissessar revealed that this incident underscored the need for concerted global action against all forms of terrorism, and reinforced the importance of Trinidad and Tobago’s recent sponsorship of the United Nations Security Council Resolution on terrorism.
- Intensified Corporation for Regional Security Discussed by Heads, in Recent Meeting on Crime.
- West Indies target 470 deficit in pink-ball Test against England
- Vincent Cabrera Tells GML Workers To Band Together and Demand Job Security after 31 More Are Dismissed.
- Active Hurricane Season It Is. More Active Than Previous Seasons, Says MET Head.
- A Must See. Ladies, Call Up Your Girlfriends. We’re Heading Out!
- IT’S FRIDAY!!!! Want A Cocktail? Here’s What You Need.
- NOTE: Caribbean Airlines Reschedules Flights
- 12-Year-Old Charged with Manslaughter. His 18- Year- Old Brother Is Charged With Murder.
- Concerns Raised Over Conditions at Blind Welfare Office in San Fernando
- Government Heads To Court on Ayers-Caesars’ Part Heard Matters.
- Intensifying cooperation regarding regional security was the focus of discussions on Friday morning when the Minister of National Security Major General (Ret’d) the Ho
- Keiron Pollard Second day of the fifth ever day-night pink-ball match in Test cricket history closed with West Indies on 44 for the loss of opener Kraigg Braithwaite for
Popular TagsAnand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA Watson Duke world news