She stated that she was deeply saddened to learn of the shootings at Parliament Hill, the National War Memorial, and a Mall in Ottawa, Canada, yesterday.
It was reported that a gunman opened fire at the National War Memorial, wounding a soldier, then moved to nearby Parliament Hill before he was shot, reportedly by Parliament’s sergeant-at-arms.
It was later confirmed that the gunman and the soldier died from their injuries.
Mrs. Persad- Bissessar shared that the Government of Trinidad and Tobago stood in solidarity with their fellow Parliamentarians in Ottawa during this difficult time.
She said that incidents such as this one reminded us of the attack on this country’s democracy 24 years ago, when insurrectionists stormed our nation’s Parliament at the Red House in an attempt to overthrow the democratically-elected Government.
She also expressed concern as the Trinidad and Tobago Embassy is based in Ottawa.
So far, no one in Canada can confirm if this was an act of terrorism against the Government and people of Canada.
Mrs. Persad- Bissessar revealed that this incident underscored the need for concerted global action against all forms of terrorism, and reinforced the importance of Trinidad and Tobago’s recent sponsorship of the United Nations Security Council Resolution on terrorism.
- Property Tax remains a topic of discontent says MP for St. Augustine Prakash Ramadar
- Questions arise on what plans are in place should unrest in Venezuela country affect T&T
- The Opposition says they will continue in non support of the implementation of the Property Tax
- A smooth re-opening of the new school term is the assessment being given by the Ministry of Education
- Why name a stand at Brian Lara Stadium after Sachin Tendulkar
- TT fall out top three in world relays
- TT women, windies men look to save face in respective cricket clashes today
- Likewise, the proposed implementation of the Property Tax ….
- The Government’s announcement about the new chancellor of the University of the West Indies continues to draw fire from the Opposition
- Former Tertiary Education Minister, Fazal Karim Says Minister Anthony Garcia Has Embarrassed the Nation
- Member of Parliament for St. Augustine, Prakash Ramadhar A meeting held by Member of Parliament for St. Augustine, Prakash Ramadhar, on Tuesday has revealed, some level o
- former head of the National Operations Centre, Commander Garvin Heerah The volatile situation that presently exists in neighboring Venezuela will ultimately have a bigger
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA world news