She stated that she was deeply saddened to learn of the shootings at Parliament Hill, the National War Memorial, and a Mall in Ottawa, Canada, yesterday.
It was reported that a gunman opened fire at the National War Memorial, wounding a soldier, then moved to nearby Parliament Hill before he was shot, reportedly by Parliament’s sergeant-at-arms.
It was later confirmed that the gunman and the soldier died from their injuries.
Mrs. Persad- Bissessar shared that the Government of Trinidad and Tobago stood in solidarity with their fellow Parliamentarians in Ottawa during this difficult time.
She said that incidents such as this one reminded us of the attack on this country’s democracy 24 years ago, when insurrectionists stormed our nation’s Parliament at the Red House in an attempt to overthrow the democratically-elected Government.
She also expressed concern as the Trinidad and Tobago Embassy is based in Ottawa.
So far, no one in Canada can confirm if this was an act of terrorism against the Government and people of Canada.
Mrs. Persad- Bissessar revealed that this incident underscored the need for concerted global action against all forms of terrorism, and reinforced the importance of Trinidad and Tobago’s recent sponsorship of the United Nations Security Council Resolution on terrorism.
- Chinese national and business owner robbed and shot dead
- Islamic Front President says social distress fuelling crime spree in T&T
- The Congress of the People (COP) is not dead
- Opposition determined to set record straight on Friday’s Parliament walkout
- Temporary traffic disruption at Camden Road, Couva
- A community is in shock as double homicide rocks Malabar
- Former Tourism Minister says Bourdain documentary may work in T&T’s favour
- ODPM says T&T is equipped to handle a natural disaster
- Opposition seeks to clears the air on Friday’s Parliament walkout
- POS Mayor says he is not aware of calls for Christopher Columbus statue to be removed
- The Chinese community here in Trinidad has counted another loss as one of its members was shot to death on Tuesday night. Yana Zeng, the owner of N&N Mini Mart, was
- There remains a lack of focus and attention on the elements of social distress plaguing communities in Trinidad and Tobago. This, according to one Islamic Leader, is at
Popular TagsAnand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA Watson Duke world news