Has the global shift to technology inspired teaching, coupled with time constraints within the family, led to literacy issues in our country? This was among the topics discussed on sister frequency Boom Champions 94.1FM earlier today.
Commenting on the cultural shift, Minister in the Ministry of Education, Dr. Lovell Francis, admitted that there are many people within our country who are unable to read, write and as a result, understand. He said there is a need to return to a reading rich household.
On the use of phonics programmes to teach adults to read, Victoria St. St, Clair who is attached to the Adult Literacy Tutors Association said there are different programmes all aimed at helping with literacy.
This morning, Dr. Francis said not enough is being done to deal with students within the primary school system, who are unable to read. He said the ministry is now adding to its resource network to better deal with the problem from the primary school level.
- Illegal vending in Arima being tackled
- OWTU says no to job cuts in economic hardship
- Search continues for missing man at sea
- Contractors Association reports better days
- Tobago prices reportedly increasing following transport woes
- Businessman’s murder raises discussions on accessing licensed firearms
- Truckers & Traders Association President says sea bridge crisis needs Gov’t intervention
- Fiery protests as Morvant residents cry neglect
- National Security Minister says Life Sport responsible for crime fighting challenges today
- Sea transport issues continue, PM says sorry
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA world news