It’s that time of year and we love it! Yes, Christmas is here and while many may have the upcoming Carnival 2018 season at the forefront of their thoughts, we here at Power 102.1FM are big fans of Christmas. What’s a Trini Christmas without that delicious black cake though? Not too sure how it’s made? The Naparima Cookbook offers this recipe for you to get your Christmas cake perfectly made for the holiday season. Be sure to try it and let us know just how it comes out!
1 lb unsalted butter • 1 lb sugar • 8 eggs • 1 tsp lemon essence • 2 tsp lime rind (zested) • 2 tsp almond essence • 2 tsp vanilla
1 lb all-purpose flour • 4 tsp baking powder • 2 tsp mixed spice • 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg • 1 lb pitted prunes • 1 lb raisins • 1 lb currants
1 bottle cherry brandy • 1 bottle rum • 1 lb brown sugar • 1/2 cup boiling hot water
Three days before:
Chop all the fruits and place in a large bowl. Pour cherry brandy and rum and leave in a cool corner, covered, so that it can soak up the alcohol. 3 days before is optimum but the longer you leave it the better! One day should be minimum though!
Baking day – Blend Fruits:
Pour the soaked fruit and remaining juices into a blender and blend until thick and chunky.
Prepare The Browning:
Burn the sugar until it has caramelized and add hot water gradually. Let this mixture cool.
1. Preheat oven to 275F
2. Cream the butter and sugar.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing in
4. Add lemon zest, almond essence and vanilla
5. Mix and sift flour, baking powder, mixed spice and nutmeg.
6. Gradually add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture
7. Mix in fruit base and ‘browning’ prepared earlier
8. Pour batter into greased baking dishes
9. Bake for 3 hours
10. Once removed from the oven soak with equal portions of rum to your liking