The National Energy Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago says it has recovered US$3.56 million dollars which was part of an illegal wire transfer to Dubai in September, 2011.
It explains that the recovery was achieved through the assistance of Dubai-based attorneys together with executives of the NEC.
NEC notes that the process required hard and concerted efforts across multiple jurisdictions to recover the stolen money in the interest of the NEC and the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago.
In a media release this afternoon, NEC said this action was a consequence of a discovery made on Monday 26th September, 2011 that its US Dollar account at First Citizen’s Bank had been debited in the amount of US$9.60 million dollars.
The company noted that there were three wire transfers from the said account that were not instructed by the NEC and the recipient banks were located in Boston, Antigua and Dubai respectively.
It added that funds illegally transferred to Antigua in the amount of US$4.6 million dollars were subsequently recovered in October 2011 as the funds had not yet reached the recipient’s bank account.
Following mediation proceedings commenced between the Boston recipient, the NEC and First Citizen’s Bank, with the parties arriving at a settlement in 2013 for the return of US$912,608.90 out of the total sum of US$1,250,217.71.
Criminal and Civil proceedings were also initiated against the recipient in Dubai by the NEC and the Dubai authorities.
In November 2014, the Dubai courts sentenced him in absentia to three years imprisonment.
Subsequently, the civil proceedings were heard and upon their successful completion, the sum of US$3,562,566.62 was returned to the NEC account on August 3rd, 2017.
- Opposition Leader Says Government Should Be Doing More. Tours Areas Affected by Severe Flooding.
- RC Archbishop Speaks Out. Social Media Violence Involving Youths, Sounds Alarm.
- Areas of Sangre Grande Feel The Brunt of Inclement Weather. Livestock, Appliances, Crops Damaged.
- Members Club Association To Meet with Ministry of Finance Official on The Way Forward.
- Wild Meat Seizure from Meat Peddlers Triggers Health Concerns. Minister Speaks Out.
- Crime Report Delivered. NOW WHAT? Criminologist Urges Action and Enforcement.
- Over 40? No Problem. T&T Designer, Afiya’s Got The Perfect Advice to Boost Your Confidence Using Fashion.
- Port-of-Spain Welcomes New Catholic Archbishop, Hailing from Barbados.
- Soca Mom and Wife, Fay-Ann Lyons Enters Mas Arena. Delivers Atlanta for C2K18.
- Charged Defense Force Soldiers Spend Divali Behind Bars. Bail Likely Tomorrow.
- Opposition Leader, Kamla Persad Bissessar today toured areas affected by flooding. She met with residents and spoke with reporters on the situation. In a statement to the
- Archbishop Joseph Harris. Roman Catholic Archbishop Joseph Harris expresses concern about challenges in the education system. He cited violence and indiscipline in school
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Murder news News Power Now Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar protest Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA Watson Duke world news