The debate on the bill is currently before the Senate.
The Government is seeking to increase the legal age a person can get married in this country to 18 years.
However the plan is getting strong opposition from the Hindu organization, the Maha Sabha.
Speaking on the afternoon drive on Power 102.1 F.M yesterday, Secretary General of the Maha Sabha, Satnarayan Maharaj said he is not afraid to head to court if the government gets its way.
He said the people within his community are already changing their culture and they do not need a law to do so.
Meanwhile the bill is getting support from President of the Council of Elders of the Spiritual Shouter Baptist, Archbishop Barbara Gray Burke.
The debate will continue on January 17th.
- Over 100 schools meet to discuss urgent issues such as discipline and supervision
- Trinidadian nationals in London said to be safe following terror attack
- Port Authority says sea transportation issues to be resolved soon
- Police Complaints Authority says illegal wrecking of vehicles has been ongoing
- The Prime Minister requests report from Sports Minister on recent Tobago trip
- Tourism Association President says not enough being done to market Trinidad
- Sport Minister says allegations against him are an attempt to get him out of office
- Tobago records another murder
- Attorney at law Om Lalla says Finance Minister trying to get around court ruling
- PSA General Secretary promises ideal industrial relations climate if elected President
- Education Minister, Anthony Garcia The Education Ministry reveals that over one hundred of the one hundred and twenty-five secondary schools’ principals heeded a call b
- London terror attack This country’s High Commission in London confirms that all nationals within the diaspora who are registered with it are safe following the terror a
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA world news