Chairman of Cricket West Indies Selectors Courtney Browne has urged regional players to make their mark in the Regional Super50 in order to force their way into the West Indies squad.
The ten-team event bowls off in Barbados today and will also enjoy play in Antigua-Barbuda from tomorrow.
TT Red Force are the defending champions and have their first game on Friday in Antigua against Darren Sammy and the Windward Islands Volcanoes.
Browne said West Indies were expected to have a heavy One-Day International (ODI) schedule this year, and with preparations already in train for the 2019 World Cup, it was crucial that players took advantage of every opportunity in the January 24 to February 18 tournament.
Browne emphasized, however, that while it was important players performed, they needed to show consistency beyond the tournament.
“People just need to perform. That’s the most important [thing], and perform consistently,” said Browne, who replaced legendary former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd in the position last year.
“What we are trying to do is look at players over at least three seasons. One of the things that we are trying not to do is to pick players after just one season.
Browne noted that the Windies one-day side was at a young stage of their development, and singled out the unit which recently campaigned in the Tri-Nations Series in Zimbabwe.
He said the young players, who had made their mark on that tour, needed to reiterate that form in the Regional Super50.
Trinidad and Tobago Red Force are in Zone A alongside Leeward Islands Hurricanes, Windward Islands Volcanoes, West Indies Under-19s and English county side, Kent Spitfires.
Zone B comprises last year’s runners-up Barbados Pride, Jamaica Scorpions, Guyana Jaguars, Combined Campuses & Colleges Marooners and ICC Americas team.
Players must make themselves available for the tournament in order to be eligible for selection to the ODI format.
- Over 100 schools meet to discuss urgent issues such as discipline and supervision
- Trinidadian nationals in London said to be safe following terror attack
- Port Authority says sea transportation issues to be resolved soon
- Police Complaints Authority says illegal wrecking of vehicles has been ongoing
- The Prime Minister requests report from Sports Minister on recent Tobago trip
- Tourism Association President says not enough being done to market Trinidad
- Sport Minister says allegations against him are an attempt to get him out of office
- Tobago records another murder
- Attorney at law Om Lalla says Finance Minister trying to get around court ruling
- PSA General Secretary promises ideal industrial relations climate if elected President
- Education Minister, Anthony Garcia The Education Ministry reveals that over one hundred of the one hundred and twenty-five secondary schools’ principals heeded a call b
- London terror attack This country’s High Commission in London confirms that all nationals within the diaspora who are registered with it are safe following the terror a
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA world news