THE Institute of Marine Affairs has confirmed that most popular local beaches are swimming in sewage.
The “State of the Marine Environment 2016” for Trinidad and Tobago was launched on Wednesday and disclosed that poor coastal development is largely responsible for concerning levels of sewage, particularly on the northwest coast.
The report urged Government to act immediately to mitigate the negative impacts of pollution and ad hoc coastal development on T&T’s marine resources.
The report revealed that the contamination included seepage from pit latrines along the coast, agricultural run-off and improperly constructed septic tanks.
It also disclosed that swimming in polluted water may cause illness, including gastroenteritis, hepatitis, respiratory illnesses and ear, nose and throat problems.
Microbial sicknesses may also ensue, including amoebic dysentry, skin rashes and pink eye.
While most of the possible illnesses are generally not life-threatening, it could be fatal in the elderly, babies and those whose health has been otherwise compromised.
- T&T Nationals Are Saying WHAT? Here Are a Few Facts About Dominica…
- Dominicans Welcome to Stay 6 Months in T&T, Says PM Rowley.
- Stephen Cadiz – Former Transport Minister says Ocean Flower 2 Presence Locally, an Embarrassment.
- 15 Dead, 20 Missing As Reality Sets In Following Maria’s Passage in Dominica.
- Children Trapped Under Mexico Rubble. Time Running Out.
- Desal Plant Shut Down Scheduled for Next Week. WASA Says Everyone Will Be Affected.
- No. The Ocean Flower 2 Is Not Operational on T&T’s Sea bridge. It’s DryDocked says Ministry.
- BE EARTHQUAKE READY: Here’s How You Can Survive An Earthquake.
- Dead Shop Keeper’s Son Said She Was Very Concerned About Crime Surge In The Area.
- Off Duty Cop Shoots Bandits. One Dead, The Other Wounded.
- Dominica has been devastated by the effects of the recent passage of Hurricane Maria. Trinidad and tobago’s Prime Minister, Dr. Keith Rowley has extended a helping
- This country is opening its arms to residents of Dominica who’ve been affected after the catastrophic Hurricane Maria made landfall earlier this week, ravaging the
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA Watson Duke world news