Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar is now in Panama where she will partake in the seventh Summit of the Americas this morning.
In Jamaica yesterday however, Mrs. Persad Bissessar threw the spotlight on the issue of terrorism and its effect on the region.
In the presence of US President, Barack Obama, T&T’s Prime Minister said there is a clear and present threat, which now exists from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and the Foreign Terrorist Fighters, threats she said leads her to believe that all parties should evaluate Caribbean and US Security. Mrs. Persad Bissessar said the time is now, for all parties to critically review, rethink and reform the approach to collaboration between the Caribbean region and the United States.
Noting that a number of people have been identified as having left CARICIOM member states to become Foreign Terrorist Fighters, Mrs. Persad Bissessar pointed out that the war cannot be won without shared intelligence.
Separately, the Prime Minister yesterday called for a summit to deal with the growing number of issues, which could affect the Caribbean island states, if not checked. The US has agreed to the summit which has been labelled the Caribbean Security Summit and reports are that it could be held as early as June, at a venue to be decided.
- Chinese national and business owner robbed and shot dead
- Islamic Front President says social distress fuelling crime spree in T&T
- The Congress of the People (COP) is not dead
- Opposition determined to set record straight on Friday’s Parliament walkout
- Temporary traffic disruption at Camden Road, Couva
- A community is in shock as double homicide rocks Malabar
- Former Tourism Minister says Bourdain documentary may work in T&T’s favour
- ODPM says T&T is equipped to handle a natural disaster
- Opposition seeks to clears the air on Friday’s Parliament walkout
- POS Mayor says he is not aware of calls for Christopher Columbus statue to be removed
- The Chinese community here in Trinidad has counted another loss as one of its members was shot to death on Tuesday night. Yana Zeng, the owner of N&N Mini Mart, was
- There remains a lack of focus and attention on the elements of social distress plaguing communities in Trinidad and Tobago. This, according to one Islamic Leader, is at
Popular TagsAnand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA Watson Duke world news