Despite calls from the Law Association of Trinidad and Tobago for the Bail (Amendment) Bill 2015 to be repealed, the government is defending the recent passage of the legislation in the parliament.
In the House of Representatives, 36 Members of Parliament, including those on the Opposition side, voted in favour of the bill.
However, in the Senate recently, Independent Senators Elton Prescott SC, Helen Drayton and temporary Senator Dr. Aysha Edwards voted against the new measures.
The Bill guarantees a 120 day stay in jail for anyone, over 18, charged with being in possession of or using a firearm unlawfully.
In a statement this week the Law Association said the legislation goes against the constitution and too draconian.
Speaking with reporters this afternoon following the distribution of keys to HDC homes to 100 differently abled persons at the Southern Academy of the Performing Arts in San Fernando, Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bissessar said the legislation is vital in fighting crime.
She admitted that the government is aware of concerns raised surrounding the legislation and measures were taken to find a proper balance.
Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bissessar
- Property Tax remains a topic of discontent says MP for St. Augustine Prakash Ramadar
- Questions arise on what plans are in place should unrest in Venezuela country affect T&T
- The Opposition says they will continue in non support of the implementation of the Property Tax
- A smooth re-opening of the new school term is the assessment being given by the Ministry of Education
- Why name a stand at Brian Lara Stadium after Sachin Tendulkar
- TT fall out top three in world relays
- TT women, windies men look to save face in respective cricket clashes today
- Likewise, the proposed implementation of the Property Tax ….
- The Government’s announcement about the new chancellor of the University of the West Indies continues to draw fire from the Opposition
- Former Tertiary Education Minister, Fazal Karim Says Minister Anthony Garcia Has Embarrassed the Nation
- Member of Parliament for St. Augustine, Prakash Ramadhar A meeting held by Member of Parliament for St. Augustine, Prakash Ramadhar, on Tuesday has revealed, some level o
- former head of the National Operations Centre, Commander Garvin Heerah The volatile situation that presently exists in neighboring Venezuela will ultimately have a bigger
Popular TagsACCIDENT Anand Ramlogan caribbean news Chaguanas West By-Election COP crime crime news Dr. Keith Rowley Gary Griffith Government Jack Warner Kamla Persad Bissessar Keith Rowley Laventille Ministry Murder news News Power Now oilfield workers Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley Parliament PETROTRIN PNM Police Police investigating police investigations politics PORT OF SPAIN power 102 Prime Prime Minister Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar Radio Vision LTD San Fernando THA Tobago trinidad trinidad and tobago trinidad and tobago news trinidad and tobago police service ttps UNC united national congress WASA world news