Reports indicate that four-year-old Mawaki Gordon and his two-year-old sister, Miracle, perished in the fire at their home at Tattoo Trace, Valencia.
The children were said to be left at home alone and unattended.
Reports quote neighbours in the area as saying that the children were regularly left alone at home.
Reports state that at approximately 12.40 pm, the Fire Services received a report of the fire from residents who noticed smoke coming from the house.
When police and fire officers arrived on the scene, the house was already completely engulfed in fire. The fire was quickly extinguished but fire officers later found the children’s remains, which were removed and taken to the Forensic Science Centre, St James, for autopsies.
The parents, a part-time taxi driver and a hairdresser, were detained by police when they arrived on the scene after receiving news of the fire. They remained in police custody up to late yesterday.
The couple’s other children, who were at school at the time of the fire, were collected by police and were put in the care of officials of the Children’s