Reports indicate that around 11:30pm on Friday night when a 33 year old mother of three was awoken by the smell of smoke at her home at Alexander Street in Longdenville.
The woman told police that she quickly checked on her children and found her 13 year old daughter standing with a candle in her hand and matches in the other.
She then rushed to check on her other two children in a nearby bedroom and found them lying in their bed.
She told police her 12 year old daughter’s hair was on fire while her nine year old son, Abeomey Jeremiah, was unresponsive.
A nearby wardrobe was also on fire.
All three children were rushed to the nearby Chaguanas Health Facility by relatives but doctors were unable to resuscitate Abeomey.
Police are continuing investigations into the incident.