With the FIFA men’s teams World Cup finals into the history books, attention, arguably, not with the same world-eyed intensity, will shift to the women’s finals which are set for Canada next year from June 6th to July 5th.
Trinidad and Tobago women’s football is targeting first-time qualification for the finals.
And their first step is participation in next month’s inaugural Caribbean Football Union’s Championship which is doubling as a qualifying competition for the Women’s World Cup.
The Caribbean championship, featuring eight national teams, is being contested in Trinidad & Tobago from August 19 to 26 and will qualify the winner and runner-up from both Group A and Group B for the CONCACAF Women’s tournament, which will determine the Confederation’s World Cup representatives.
Bermuda, Jamaica, Haiti and Puerto Rico comprise GROUP A while Antigua/Barbuda, Martinique, St Kitts/Nevis and Trinidad and Tobago are the Group B teams.
CONCACAF’s qualifying tournament, to be staged in the United States later this year, will award three direct tickets to the FIFA Women’s World Cup and the fourth-placed team in the CONCACAF event will have a playoff with a South American team, the winner of which will earn passage to Canada.
Home-based Trinidad and Tobago team possibles have been turning out with their clubs in the TT Women’s League which enjoys a three-match round of competition today with Defence Force versus Civic Pioneers from 4 o’ clock at the Hasely Crawford Stadium Training Field, the National Under-15 team against Central FC at the Caroni Savannah Road, New Settlement Grounds from 6.30 and also from 6.30 at Dibe Long Circular Road Recreation Ground, leaders St Ann’s Rangers versus Real Dimension.
St Ann’s Rangers drew 1-1 with Civic Pioneers at the weekend in Point Fortin with Kurlyn Jacob for Civic and Chelsea Marie-Spence, a penalty for Rangers the goal-scorers.
It was also 1-1 between Central FC and St. Augustine while the match between the National U-15 Girls and Real Dimension had to be postponed to a later date.
IN an item of post-World Cup activity, Luiz Felipe Scolari has resigned as Brazil‘s head coach after the team’s failure to win the World Cup, the Brazilian Football Confederation said yesterday
Scolari’s contract ended after the World Cup and he handed over the command of the team after Saturday’s match, saying that it would be up to the confederation to decide whether he would remain at the helm of the five-time world champions.
In a statement, the confederation said that president Jose Maria Marin accepted what it called ”Scolari’s resignation.”
Scolari, who led Brazil to the 2002 World Cup title, had said after Brazil’s loss to the Netherlands that he would turn in a report of his work with the national team and Marin would then analyze what he would like to do.
Scolari publicly apologized to fans after the loss to Germany, saying he knows it will never be forgotten, and defended his work with Brazil since returning in late 2012. In 29 matches, he led the nation to 19 wins, six draws and four losses. Brazil won last year’s Confederations Cup, the
Brazil’s next official tournament is the 2015 Copa America. The team is expected to play four friendlies this year, the first one against Colombia on Sept. 5 in Miami. It will also play Ecuador on Sept. 8 in New York, Argentina on Oct. 11 in Beijing and Turkey on Nov. 12 in Istanbul.
Scolari’s replacement was not immediately announced. Assistant Carlos Alberto Parreira, the coach who led Brazil to the 1994 World Cup title, was also leaving.
The confederation said Marin would give further explanations in a news conference on Thursday.