Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar has this evening announced that she had asked for and received resignation letters from both Attorney General, Anand Ramlogan and National Security Minister, Gary Griffith.
Speaking at the Diplomatic Centre in St. Ann’s a short while ago, Mrs. Persad Bissessar addressed issues of alleged impropriety by both Griffith and Ramlogan while in public office.
This evening Mrs. Persad Bissessar revoked six ministerial portfolios held, among them, that of Minister in the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure, Stacy Roopnarine, Justice Minister, Emmanuel George, Tourism Minister, Rupert Griffith, her position as minister of Social Development, among others.
The Prime Minister announced the following appointments:
- Minister of Legal Affairs and Justice Minister – Prakash Ramadhar
- Sport Minister – Brent Sancho
- Minister of the People and Social Development – Christine Newallo Hosein-
- Attorney General- Garvin Nicholas
- Minister in the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure – Kwasi Matuma
- Minister of National Security- Former Brigadier General Carl Alfonso
This evening’s announcement by the Prime Minister comes on the cusp of a general election this year. The Prime Minister maintained that her decision in the matter, as with all other matters is in the best interest of the nation.
Separately, Mrs. Persad Bissessar has called for the position of the head of the Police Complaints Authority, David West to be revoked by the President. Amid these developments, the allegations made by the PCA Director, David West, against the former Attorney General, are being investigated.