Trinidad and Tobago’s Health Minister last week explained that there would be no immediate action to restrict travel to Trinidad and Tobago, amid concern over the Coronavirus outbreak in China. While there have been questions posed regarding the potential risk of the disease being spread by visitors coming into T&T for Carnival 2020, there will be no carnival ban. Today, the World Health Organization said there is no need to impose restrictions that “unnecessarily” interfere with international travel and trade.

(WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

(WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has reaffirmed the health agency’s view that there is no need to impose such restrictions telling the organisation’s executive board on Monday that “global collectiveness is a weakness” as the coronavirus continues to spread “but it is also our greatest strength.”

Tedros said there have been 151 coronavirus cases in 23 countries outside of China.