Gajlal Rampersad of St. Croix Road Barrackpore was trapped in the house and lost his life before he could get out.
Neighbors report that they heard two loud explosions at 2 o’clock this morning.
When they went to investigate the source of the noise they saw Rampersad’s two story wooden dwelling on fire.
Rampersad’s son and daughter-in-law who lived upstairs were able to jump through their window to safety.
His son who made an attempt to rescue his father received minor burns to his leg and face.
He was treated at hospital and discharged.
The house was not fitted with electricity.
It is believed that a lighted candle may have been the cause of the fire.
The house was completely destroyed.