Turkey is still the number one meat at the Christmas table and although many of you have enjoyed turkey dinners at various functions some of us still wait until Christmas to stuff and roast our bird.
- 12-14 lb turkey
- 10 cups stuffing
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cup minced fresh herbs pureed with 1/4 cup olive oil
- (1/4 cup fresh thyme, 1/2 cup chopped chives, 1/4 cup fresh parsley, 1/8 cup garlic)
- 1 cup water
Brought to you with the compliments of
- The night before cooking your turkey, rinse the turkey, pat it dry and season it inside out with salt and pepper. Rub the minced herb mixture over turkey completely, cover and leave refrigerated overnight.
- The next day bring your turkey to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Pack the neck cavity loosely with some of the stuffing, fold the neck skin under the body of the turkey and fasten it with a skewer.
- Pack the body cavity loosely with the remaining stuffing and truss the turkey.
- Spread the butter on Turkey, place it on a roasting pan and roast it in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 325F. Baste the turkey with the pan juices and add the water to the pan.
- Roast the turkey, basting it every 20 minutes for 2 1/2 to 3 hours more. Or until a meat thermometer inserted into the fleshiest part of the thigh registers 180F, and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced.
- Transfer the turkey to a platter, remove the string and cover loosely with foil.
- Remove stuffing. When turkey has cooled. then proceed to carve.
More Christmas Recipes