The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) says that contrary to media and social media reports, the killing of Roger Cabie in Carapo on Monday evening did not involve the Police.

According to official reports, at around 6.30 pm, on June 15th, Police responded to a report of loud explosions at Simon Road, Carapo. On arrival, police officers discovered the body of a man lying on his back in the middle of a roadway off Simon Road. The man’s body bore gunshot wounds. First responders cordoned off the area and awaited the arrival of investigators. The DMO visited the scene, viewed the body, and pronounced the person dead. He was later identified as 42-year-old Roger Cabie of Carapo. Police officers retrieved spent shell casings, along with two live rounds of 9 mm ammunition.

The body was removed to the Forensic Sciences Centre for a post-mortem.

Police say enquiries revealed that at around 6:20 pm, Cabie was observed speaking to officers in two police vehicles which left shortly thereafter. A few minutes later, several loud explosions were heard and Cabie was found unresponsive. Further enquiries revealed that the house in which Cabie resided was acquired by means of force. While on the scene several loud explosions were heard from an area nearby and several police units responded, however no one was apprehended.

The TTPS notes that both the traditional media and social media have been reporting that Cabie was killed by the Police. Northern Division Police and the Homicide Bureau have refuted such reports, saying Cabie was a victim of gang warfare.

In a statement, the TTPS today said Commissioner of Police, Gary Griffith notes the comments made that there were witnesses to this killing, yet he says no one has come forward to produce any information, photographs, videos, or even the number plates of any vehicles in the area at the time of the killing.

The TTPS is calling on anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of those responsible for Cabbie’s killing, to