Several people are this morning homeless after their homes in the Mc Bean, Couva community were destroyed by fire yesterday.

The fire was said to have been caused by scratch bomb and fire­works being used by children in the neighbourhood.

Nine peo­ple are now homeless.

The victims are 61-year-old Michael Ram­per­sad, his sons 37-year-old Roger, and 36-year-old Jimmy; Jimmy’s wife 34-year-old Videya Lalla, and their four children ages 7, 10, 12 and 13 and Lalla’s brother Daryl Ramnarace.

Reports quote the owner of one of the dwellings as saying that at about 6.45 pm he was at home with one of his sons when neighbours called out to him saying his father’s upholstery workshop was on fire.

He said there were lots of children in the area playing with scratch bombs and fireworks and it is believed that one of them threw a scratch bomb and it landed in his father’s workshop and when it burst the flames caught the material on fire. He said there were a lot of combustible items in the workshop, including chemicals and glue, which he believes fed the flames.