Advertisement

LIVE STREAMS

MESSAGE

LIVE STREAMS

MESSAGE

Advertisement

LIVE STREAMS

MESSAGE

Advertisement

SOE turns three

by | Aug 21, 2014

IMG_4714The Joint trade Union Movement (JTUM) held a silent protest outside the Hall of Justice today to commemorate the 2011 limited State of Emergency.

Today marks three years since the People Partnership Government instituted the S.O.E in a bid to control spiralling crime.

On August 19th 2011, eleven persons were killed in just over 48 hours.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said at the time that the killings dictated that more must be done and stronger action needed to be employed .

On August 21st a 9pm to 5am curfew was imposed which was later changed to 11 pm to 4 am. Minister of National Security at the time John Sandy said the SOE was put in place because of a clear threat to national security.

A number of people were arrested including a group of men who police alleged were planning to kill Mrs Persad-Bissessar.

However, they were later released without charge.

JTUM has maintained that the S.O.E was called to silence the trade union movement.

Leader of the JTUM Ancel Roget broke his silence at the protest to explain why the protestors had placed duct tape over their mouths …IMG_4723

CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO

 

Mr. Roget stated that the S.o.E was unjustified and caused the country to suffer billions of dollars in losses.

CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO

At last year’s second anniversary demonstration Ancel Roget was arrested for wearing a mask in front of the Hall of Justice.

Police said that they thought a coup d’etat was about to happen.

Mr. Roget said the unions are willing to face the consequences of their demonstration.

CLICK TO PLAY AUDIO

 

0 Comments