Three men are dead following a confrontation with police on Saturday afternoon in Morvant. One victim has been identified as Joel Jacob.

Police said at around 2.15 pm on Saturday, a team of officers from the Port of Spain Division, under the supervision of Sgt Solomon, as well as the Guard and Emergency Branch, were on patrol along Juman Drive, Second Caledonia, Morvant. They said, upon reaching the vicinity of “The Auto Guru Building” officers spotted a Nissan Tiida vehicle driving west, heading towards the police. The officers stopped the vehicle and approached the car, which was occupied by three men. Police claim the backseat passenger alighted the vehicle and opened fire on them. The officers said they returned fire, hitting all three occupants of the car.

Police said a black Beretta pistol with a quantity of live ammunition were found and seized. The three injured men were rushed to the Port of Spain General Hospital, however, they were pronounced dead on arrival.

The family of one of the three victims is however calling for an investigation into the killing. CCTV footage of the incident has raised questions regarding what really happened, after Jacobs was seen coming out of the vehicle with his hands in the air, turning around twice in front of several heavily armed officers, conversing with them at gunpoint, and then returning to
the vehicle, just before the officers opened fire. Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith speaking on Power 102FM’s Power Breakfast Show this morning said that the matter is being thoroughly investigated.

In the video an officer is seen picking up what looks like spent shells from the ground after the shooting. The Commissioner said only that officer would be able to provide information on what he had been collecting. He said that situations like these show the hypocrisy that exists in Trinidad and Tobago. The killings occurred on the same day of the brutal murder of police officer, Allen Mosely. The 32-year-old police officer who was attached to the Guard and Emergency Branch (GEB) was shot
dead in Morvant.

Griffith said he finds it sad that while there were many witnesses who came forward to say they saw what had happened, no one seems to have seen what happened to his officer who was shot to death earlier that day.