Commissioner of Police, Gary Griffith, has ordered that an investigation be conducted into a report that police officers stood still and did nothing and allowed more than 1,000 spectators to witness a cricket match in Central Trinidad last Wednesday evening, thereby breaching the Public Health Ordinance Regulations guidelines.

The CoP noted that it was only when he gave instructions for the match to be shut down, that the police officers on the scene made any attempt to disperse the crowd that had assembled. The large crowd breached the COVID-19 protocols and caused a traffic nightmare along Pierre Road, Charlieville.

He noted that disciplinary action can follow if the investigation shows that police officers did not carry out their duties.

Commissioner Griffith said when he received a report that there were breaches of the Public Health Regulations, he instructed the Senior Superintendent in charge of the Central Division to shut down the event.

Although there were officers present throughout the match, it was only when they received instructions that the police officers went onto the field and stopped the match. The large crowd began to disperse subsequently. A representative team from the TTPS was engaged in a semi-final match in the Central T10 tournament at that time.

The CoP reiterated that there must be NO spectators at team sports during the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Commissioner Griffith said with the large crowd present, there was clearly a breach of the Public Health (2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCOV) Regulations, 2020. The Regulations states: “During the period specified in Regulation 16, a person shall not, without reasonable justification– (a) be found at any public place where the number of persons gathered at any time exceeds ten; (b) participate in any sport or team sports which involves the congregation of more than ten persons; or (c) be found at or in any beach, river, stream, pond, spring or similar body of water in congregations of more than ten persons.”